Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Power Of A Vegan Diet: Annette Larkins

The Power of A Vegan Diet

Annette Larkins

Annette Larkins was 70 years old in this video. She will be 74 in January 2016. Although some people dismiss this with "black don't crack" (or genetics), that didn't work for her husband. Her mother and her aunts died young from breast cancer; she changed her eating habits to vegetarian at the age of 21. As far as race and youthfulness, I do realize that blacks in general do look younger than their white counterparts, but not to this extent. You are what you eat and what you eat can age you as well as make you sick.

Like Annette, I didn't want to eat flesh anymore; it wasn't because I was trying to be healthy. I stopped eating red meat (that's called a pollotarian, but I didn't know that at the time) when I was 20 and had every intentions of going vegetarian, but I got married at 22 and between my husband and everyone else convincing me that it's not healthy, I decided to stay pollotarian. However, occasionally I would go vegetarian or vegan. I really didn't care for beef so there was no convincing me about eating it; I did occasionally at family or friends houses to be nice; after a while I stopped doing that.

One day, without anyone's permission, I got up and just became a vegetarian. Before that I had stopped drinking cow's milk (never liked it anyway) and started drinking almond milk because I felt like cow's milk was too heavy and route of why my face was breaking out. I did however, continue to use cow's milk as an ingredient when a recipe calls for it. Months after becoming a vegetarian, I decided to become a vegan. Once again, it had nothing to do with longevity or health or animal rights; I just didn't want to eat any flesh or anything from an animal anymore. Like Annette, I cook separate meals for my family.

Now, after seeing Annette, it does make me feel good about my decision. I do wonder about the health of her real hair though and I would be interested in seeing it. As I age, I want my face, body, and hair to look healthy. I want a balance. Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment